Colormap in meshc.m

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Colormap in meshc.m
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:41:33 -0700

I don't understand the colormap used in meshc.m. I'm using
  '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
GNU Octave, version 2.9.14
and get the same results in X-term and AquaTerm. I cannot
be sure if the problem is not Mac app. specific because
I still have unresolved other color problems
(e.g. blue default instead of red).
Henry

Details:
octave-2.9.14:1> figure(1)
octave-2.9.14:2> peaks
## peaks appears in default colormap = 'jet'
## I may have changed the default colormap so it would be 'jet'.
octave-2.9.14:3> colormap(gray)
octave-2.9.14:4> colormap(jet)
## can change colormap to 'gray' and back to 'jet'.

octave-2.9.14:5> figure (2)
octave-2.9.14:6> [x,y,z]=peaks;
octave-2.9.14:7> meshc(x,y,z)
## I expect the peaks plot plus a contour plot in the xy-plane.
## I can see that peaks is drawn first using colormap jet as expected
## but then as the peaks are redrawn at the same time
## as the contours are drawn,
## the peaks plot changes to an unknown colormap
## perhaps a combination of 2 different colormaps,
## whereas the contours appear to use colormap 'jet'
## The colors used for peaks and contours no longer match.

octave-2.9.14:12> colormap (gray)
octave-2.9.14:13> colormap (jet)
## This only affects the peaks portion of the plot
## and has no effect on the contours portion of the plot.
## It will change the peaks to gray
## then back to the same unknown colormap not 'jet'.