Re: Where to find readlink for Mac OS 10.3.9?

From: Marius Schamschula
Subject: Re: Where to find readlink for Mac OS 10.3.9?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 05:45:04 -0500

Neil,

The amusing part of this is that 10.3.9 has the man page for readlink/stat, but neither binary is installed.

On Sep 26, 2007, at 9:43 PM, <address@hidden> <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Thomas,

I'm pretty sure it doesn't appear on the 10.3.9 machines that I'm using,
and definitely isn't in my path at the moment:

jadzia:~ fra256$ which readlink
no readlink in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current /sw/bin /usr/local/bin

My message yesterday wasn't entirely correct - it seems I forgot that a
few days before I had tried to fix something by having octave in
/usr/local/bin symlink to another script in the same directory which
contained the line

exec '/Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'

Which would be why my command line arguments to octave are being dropped
(oops - it's been a busy week!).  Now changing /usr/local/octave to
point to what is being exec'ed above, as I claimed I was doing
yesterday:

jadzia:/usr/local/bin fra256$ sudo ln -s
/Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave octave

And returning to my home directory and trying to start octave I get:

jadzia:/usr/local/bin fra256$ cd ~
jadzia:~ fra256$ octave
/usr/local/bin/octave: line 1: readlink: command not found
/usr/local/bin/octave: line 69: /usr/local/bin/octave-2.9.13: No such
file or directory

But creating an alias does seem to work, with and without arguments.
(though with the readlink error, of course).

Also, when starting up octave using the full path, command line
arguments are fine (but w/ the usual readlink error).  I've edited my
cron job to do this and all is well.  (Apart from that those warnings I
was ignoring from 2.1.73 about gset being deprecated seem to have become
relevant to me)

Thanks,
Neil

Marius