Re: What should an Octave GUI be like?

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: What should an Octave GUI be like?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:51:25 -0400

Javier Arantegui wrote:
Hello,

El Miércoles, 26 de Septiembre de 2007, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso escribió:
Should QtOctave follow the same design principles like a single
workspace with non-overlapping windows and mostly useless information
in them, or open many small independent subwindows for each new
functionality requested?

I think that QtOctave's author plans to add a lot of flexibility about how the windows should be on screen. It seems that he plans to support both MDI and SDI. This is a short slideshow where he shows what he plans:

http://qtoctave.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/presentacion_windows_layout.pdf

The problem is that in my case whan I try to use the 'Window' command I got the following error:

ASSERT: "widget->testAttribute(Qt::WA_WState_Created)" in file painting/qbackingstore.cpp, line 636

Javier

I haven't messed around with QtOctave much lately (does it still implement its own interpreter?), but with octavede (a GTK version of the octave gui that I have sporadically worked on) I use dockable widgets so the use can split them off or dock them together in whatever arrangement seems best to the user. I'm pretty sure QT supports the same sort of dockable widgets, and recent versions of Matlab follow a similar concept. I am waiting for the next version of Emacs-GTK which is rumored to be "embeddable" in other GTK apps. Then an Octave IDE would be complete ;)

John Swensen