Re: What should an Octave GUI be like?

From: Ana Rakonjac
Subject: Re: What should an Octave GUI be like?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:02:12 +1200

On 9/26/07, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm glancing right now at Pedro Lucas's new QtOctave release, which
> seems to be fixing a few issues, although it personally still doesn't
> please me entirely.
>
> My biggest question right now, design-wise, is this: keeping in mind
> that QtOctave is mostly meant for easing transition from being a
> Matlab user to being an Octave user (or so it seems to me), should we
> attempt to mimic a Matlab interface as much as possible? Since Matlab
> is a Windows application that happens to be available for MacOS X and
> Unix, some of its design decisions seem a little out of place for an X
> app, and correct me if I'm wrong here, since I haven't used Matlab on
> MacOS X in over a year nor on Windows in over 3,
>
> I am specifically thinking of the choice of having one large workspace
> where several non-overlapping windows coexist (with mostly useless
> information, if you ask me). Now, I know that one of the greatest
> criticisms against the Gimp, for example, is that instead of having
> this large workspace, it opens many small and mostly independent
> windows. I am told that the Gimp's design clashes with Windows, but X
> window managers like Beryl, kwin, or metacity can make the Gimp feel
> more at home with features like multiple desktops and such.
>
> I am rambling, Sorry. Let me try to get to the point.
>
> Should QtOctave follow the same design principles like a single
> workspace with non-overlapping windows and mostly useless information
> in them, or open many small independent subwindows for each new
> functionality requested?
>
> Going back to the goal: since QtOctave is meant for transitioning for
> Matlab (I personally don't see myself using QtOctave very much in the
> near future; I like consoles and Emacs), perhaps we should be aiming
> to make an app that pleases Windows users even if it looks out of
> place in X.
>
> I have other questions regarding QtOctave's design, but before I pose
> them, I would like to hear your thoughts.
>
> Thanks,
> - Jordi G. H.

I haven't used QtOctave, but I would be keen on a decent GUI. I prefer
the small independent subwindows that you can move around and put
where YOU want them. Being a Linux user, I do find a lot of Windows
app GUIs a bit cumbersome.

Ana

--
"Come now, do you really expect me to do coordinate substitution in my
head while strapped to a centrifuge?"