Re: error in installing image package on Octave

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: error in installing image package on Octave
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 14:30:31 +0200

On 9/18/07, Du Tiehua <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am using a Pc running windowsXp. I just installed Octave 2.9.13 for windows
> successfully. However, when I installed the image package by typing "pkg
> install image-1.0.2.tar.gz", i got the following error message:
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> see 'config.log' for more details.
> error: the configure script returned the following error: cheking for gcc...
> no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl...  no
> error: called from 'pkg: config_make' in file C:\program
> files\Octave\share\octave\2.9.13\m\pkg\pkg.m near line 989, column 2
> In fact, I have a visual studio.net installed in my computer, and i have
> added it into the system path. but still could not install the image
> package.

1) if you installed Windows through the binary installer, than the image
package should already be installed on your system. Try to list the
packages with "pkg list"

2) the compiler should be in your PATH variable; try for instance
system("cl /?") at octave prompt. And the INCLUDE and LIB variables
should also be set correctly (use vcvarsall.bat script from MSVC
installation to setup everything)

3) If you installed the free version of the MS compiler, then you also need
to install the Platform SDK. In this case, the INCLUDE and LIB variables
should also be adapted (se SetEnv.cmd script from SDK installation)

Michael.