Re: Octave from CDROM

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Octave from CDROM
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:59:56 +0900 (JST)

--- Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
> I don't think so, because the "rebuild" command will try to save
> a file in the octave directory; this will fail in the case of a CD-ROM.
> In such case (demo CD-ROM), I guess the best would be either
> to make the package manager relocatable, or to make the package
> manager able to reload packages on the fly without relying on
> an intermediate save file (this means like the "rebuild" command,
> except that packages are loaded and no save file is generated)

That was right.

HoweverI found tricky technique to use pkg functions form CD-ROM.
The keyword is 'subst command'.

******************
Z:\bin>subst /?
Associates a path with a drive letter.

SUBST [drive1: [drive2:]path]
SUBST drive1: /D

  drive1:        Specifies a virtual drive to which you want to assign a path.
  [drive2:]path  Specifies a physical drive and path you want to assign to
                 a virtual drive.
  /D             Deletes a substituted (virtual) drive.

Type SUBST with no parameters to display a list of current virtual drives.
******************************

The following the record what I did.
********
By the exploerer I copied all installed MSVC-Octave to E:\Octave-2.9.13
Drive E: is the USB HDD for my computer.
***Folder structure
E:\Octave-2.9.13\bin
E:\Octave-2.9.13\doc
E:\Octave-2.9.13\include
     :
     :
*******
I exectuted cmd.exe and goto E:\ by >e:

E:\>Subst z: e:\Octave-2.9.13
E:\>z:
Z:\>cd bin
Z:\bin>octave

Then octave was executed.
octave> pkg uninstall all
octave> pkg prefix z:\share\octave\packages

octave> pkg rebuild windows
octave> pkg rebuild time
octave> pkg rebuild symbolic
octave> pkg rebuild struct
octave> pkg rebuild strings
octave> pkg rebuild statistics
octave> pkg rebuild splines
octave> pkg rebuild special-matrix
octave> pkg rebuild specfun
octave> pkg rebuild sockets
octave> pkg rebuild signal
octave> pkg rebuild polynomial
octave> pkg rebuild plot
octave> pkg rebuild physicalconstants
octave> pkg rebuild outliers
octave> pkg rebuild optim
octave> pkg rebuild odepkg
octave> pkg rebuild odebvp
octave> pkg rebuild octcdf
octave> pkg rebuild miscellaneous
octave> pkg rebuild linear-algebra
octave> pkg rebuild java
octave> pkg rebuild irsa
octave> pkg rebuild io
octave> pkg rebuild informationtheory
octave> pkg rebuild image
octave> pkg rebuild ident
octave> pkg rebuild gsl
octave> pkg rebuild geometry
octave> pkg rebuild general
octave> pkg rebuild fixed
octave> pkg rebuild econometrics
octave> pkg rebuild control
octave> pkg rebuild communications
octave> pkg rebuild combinatorics
octave> pkg rebuild audio
octave> pkg rebuild arpack

octave> pkg load all
octave> exit

The all files were copied by exploerer usinf XP facility.
For my computer CD-ROM drive d:

***Folder structure
D:\bin
D:\doc
D:\include
     :
     :

Then I loged off the computer and logged on again to reset subst.
(Pherhaps it can be replaced by 'subst z: /D')

The cmd was executed again.
>d:
D:\>subst z: d:\
D:\>z:
Z:\>cd bin
Z:\bin>octave

  :
octave> pkg list

Package Name       | Version | Installation directory
-------------------+---------+-----------------------
           arpack *|   1.0.1 | z:\share\octave\packages\arpack-1.0.1
            audio *|   1.0.1 | z:\share\octave\packages\audio-1.0.1
    combinatorics *|   1.0.2 | z:\share\octave\packages\combinatorics-1.0.2
   communications *|   1.0.2 | z:\share\octave\packages\communications-1.0.2
          control *|   1.0.1 | z:\share\octave\packages\control-1.0.1
      :
      :

Of course, in my case,  a drive letter 'z' should not be used.
But there perhaps is to be at least a usable drive name.

In cd-rom, it's better for you write a proper batch file for booting octave
easily.

Regards

Tatsuro

http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/toolbar/