Re: Examples doesn't seems to work

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Examples doesn't seems to work
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:46:57 -0400

On 14-Sep-2007, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| David Bateman wrote:
| > Abdul Rahman Riza wrote:
| >
| >> Dear Mr. DAvid  Bateman,
| >>
| >> I am Using ubuntu Feisty Fawn. How to install GNUplot properly?
| >>
| >> Rgds
| >> Riza
| >>

| > apt-get update
| > apt-get install gnuplot
| >

| Is there any reason why the Debian octave packages don't have gnuplot as
| a mandatory dependency?

I guess that question belongs on the
address@hidden list.

| want octave without X, but maybe just for Ubuntu, which is meant to be
| desktop oriented, it would make sense to somehow make octave
| automatically install gnuplot.

So this is a problem for the people who make Ubuntu packages?

But anyway, I agree that it would probably be best to have a gnuplot
dependency, but I'm sure someone will disagree because they don't want
to have to pull in all of X for some reason.  OTOH, maybe it would be
possible to depend on either gnuplot-nox or gnuplot, and install the
-nox version if X doesn't seem to be installed.  I have no idea how
hard that would be to implement.

jwe