Re: Octave Compatiblity with MatLAB

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave Compatiblity with MatLAB
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:06:41 +0200

Michael Goffioul wrote:
> On 9/14/07, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> 3. Octave could not handle all UI-commands at the moment. This includes
>>> set/get/gca/gcf/jet/uicontrol/uimenu/box/camlight/lighting/rotate3d and
>>> so on. In the testsuite I use dispatch to call wrappers for them if
>>> needed.
>>>

>> jhandles in octave-forge has some UI stuff that is compatible, but not
>> all of it.
>>

> I'm working on it within jhandles, but it takes a lot of time. I'm focusing
> providing the core elements, most of them are already implemented.
> One further step is to write the high-level objects or manipulation
> routines (like camlight), which can (should) be developed independently
> of the graphic backend. Contributions/help is always welcome :-)
>
> Michael.

Michael,

Can we open a discussion on the split of the graphic handles between
octave and java? At the moment you have duplicated a large part of the
handle system in Octave in java, to prevent needless transfers of data
from Octave to Java.  However, this means a duplication of effort. What
would be needed to allow the existing handle system in Octave to be used
completely with a means of synchronizing the data between it and your
java backend. In that way your java backend would be minimally
intrusive, the switch to it in the long run might be facilitated and
finally there would be less of a split of effort (for example your
barseries changes in jhandles would done in Octave)..

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only