Re: Octave Compatiblity with MatLAB

From: Andreas Romeyke
Subject: Re: Octave Compatiblity with MatLAB
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:14:50 +0200

Hi,

Am Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:08:16 -0400
schrieb "Anderson, Gregg T CIV USAF AFRL/MLPJ"
<address@hidden>:

> my WindowsXP machine. What are the latest compatility issues with,
> specifically MatLAB? I read the FAQ on Octave/MatLAB compatility.
> Apparently that hasn't been updated since Feb '98. Anything more

In my experiences with EEGLab-Toolbox and in development of a testsuite
for it the most occured show stoppers seems to be:

1. Octave needs a comma  as separator in cell arrays. In Matlab it is
your choise to use comma or space only.
2. Octave parses the whole file. This IMHO is a positive issue. Matlab
evaluates only the code branch it will interpret actually.
3. Octave could not handle all UI-commands at the moment. This includes
set/get/gca/gcf/jet/uicontrol/uimenu/box/camlight/lighting/rotate3d and
so on. In the testsuite I use dispatch to call wrappers for them if
needed.
4. Octave does not understand nested functions, I think.
5. Octave does not processes classes (see @class discussion)

With the testsuite it is also possible to compare different
matlab- and octave-versions in case of speed. Octave 2.9.13 is a litlle
bit faster as Matlab 6.5 in some functions. But there also exists
functions were Octave is outperformed with factor of two or three. In
general I would say that Matlab6.5 is the speed favorit, followed by
Matlab 7.1 and Octave 2.9.x.

But in case of memory footprint Octave needs less memory than Matlab.

Bye Andreas

--
Software Developer / Dipl. Inform. (FH)
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences