Re: sumskipnan(nan) = 0 ?

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: sumskipnan(nan) = 0 ?
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 07:54:30 +0200

address@hidden skrev:
On Sun Sep  9 21:15 , Søren Hauberg  sent:
sum(nan) = nan.
I think you are misunderstanding the meaning of NaN. "NaN" means "Not a Number", so the addition of "a number" and "not a number" is really well defined. That is NaN+1 can't be a number, and hence must be NaN. Your arguments could to some extend work for "NA" (that is "Not Available"), but even then I wouldn't agree with your logic.

The starting point was sumskipnan. If NaN+1=NaN by defintion, that function is
useless.

What do you mean/refer to when you say that NaN+1 is "well defined"?
Sorry -- I missed a "not" in  my reply. I meant to say, "not well defined".