Spline Package Installation

From: Nose Nada
Subject: Spline Package Installation
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 18:08:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hello there!

I have just recently installed Octave under Fedora 7. Everything OK.
However, when I tried to installed the spline-gcvspl package from
Octave-forge I have problems:

octave:6> pkg install spline-gcvspl-1.0.1.tar.gz
See `config.log' for more details.
error: the configure script returned the following error: checking for
gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
error: called from `pkg:configure_make' in file
/usr/share/octave/2.9.13/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 989, column 2

I tried a different package:
octave:5> pkg install informationtheory-0.1.1.tar.gz
and it work perfectly.
Can anyone give a hint on how to deal with this? My experience in Linux is
very poor, I'm just a beginner.
Thanks in advance, folks!
Omar