RE: Gnuplot zoom with mouse - update

From: Will Lentz
Subject: RE: Gnuplot zoom with mouse - update
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:55:46 -0700

Hi all,

Just an update - the latest CVS version of gnuplot now supports mouse
zooming with octave 2.9.13!

Cheers,
Will

On 25-Aug-2007 Thomas Weber wrote:
Am Freitag, den 24.08.2007, 17:21 -0400 schrieb John W. Eaton:
> On 24-Aug-2007, Will Lentz wrote:
>
> | With gnuplot4.0 I added "set mouse" to ~/.gnuplot and that almost
works.
> | Now I can right-click and see the zoom box, but it doesn't actually
zoom
> | in.  If I turn on gnuplot debugging ('6') I see:
> |   octave:1> plot(1:10)
> |   octave:2> communication commands will be echoed.
> |   starting zoom region.
> |   set xr[2.35775862069:4.73141163793]; set
> | yr[2.28673361522:5.07901691332]; set x2r[ 2.35776: 4.73141]; set
y2r[
> | 2.28673: 5.07902]
> |   zoom region finished.
> | But the screen doesn't refect the zoom.
> |
> | As an alternative I tried using gnuplot 4.2.  Now I no longer need a
> | ~/.gnuplot file to enable mouse functionality.  That's cool, but
> | unfortunately the zoom box doesn't show up at all.  The middle
button
> | can still be used to place markers, though...
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Will
> |
> | P.S.  Just as a sanity check - the right click zoom works when I run
> | either version of gnuplot from the command line (outside of octave).
>
> Yes, but Octave is sending commands to gnuplot through a pipe, which
> gnuplot treats differently from input coming from a terminal.  I don't
> know why gnuplot is not functioning properly in this case and I don't
> have time to debug it at the moment.  Could someone please investigate
> and see whether it is a bug in gnuplot or if there is something that
> we can do to start gnuplot in a way that zooming will actually work?

See
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.gnuplot.devel/6469?set_lin
es=100000
(search for "enemy")

It seems gnuplot's developers are aware of the problem. But it wasn't a
major issue until now.

        Thomas