Re: reading xls file

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: reading xls file
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 22:19:55 +0200

> Dear Octave users,
>
> I have installed Octave 2.9.13 for windows. I put a file.xls intitled "kir"
> in (c:/programfiles/octave). this file contains two columns.the first headed
> with y, the other with x. I want to read kir.xls from "Octave propmt".I have
> written this line:
>
> fid=fopen ("kir.xls,"r")
>
> The problem, I obtained always a strictly positif integer but I can't read
> the two columns x and y. What can I do? Many thanks in advance

As already proposed, the easiest is to save your Excel file into some ascii
format and then to read it from Octave. I you really want to deal with the
Excel file directly, you can use the COM interface available in the Windows
package of octave-forge (normally installed by default, if you used the
Octave installer for windows). The idea is then to create an automation
server with actxserver and control Excel from Octave to get your data
(you'd then need to be a little familiar with COM automation).

Michael.