Re: Information on porting graphing scripts between 2.1.x and 2.9/3.0 ?

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Information on porting graphing scripts between 2.1.x and 2.9/3.0 ?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 05:51:20 +0900 (JST)

I do not recommend to use gnuplot 4.0 for Octave 2.9.xx.
Because old gnuplot sometimes suffers from long data lines
from the Octave.(In Octave 2.9.xx, data are sent to
gnuplot via pipe line using plot '-' command.)

About the pipeline prblem, see the following threads.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1673352&group_id=2055&atid=102055

I recommed to use CVS version of gnuplot.
Although you have to build it by yourself.
If you have gcc 4.2.1, I recommend to use it.

I am a cygwin user. CVS gnuplot build by gcc 4.2.1 as fast
as window native one. (Previously the cygwin gnuplot was
slower the native one.) I think the optimization ability
of gcc 4.2.1 is fine.

--- Johan Persson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a number of (signal processing) scripts that
> have run well on the
> previous major version 2.1.x. However, after doing
> some tests with 2.9 I have
> run into formatting problems.
>
> Most the plain (calculating) scripts work fine but I
> have several problems
> with the plotting in 2.9. I'm using octave with
> gnuplot 4.0.0
>
> Simple things like formatting an impulse-plot (using
> FMT "^") or showing a
> step-plot (using FMT "L") does no longer seem to
> work. I assume that the
> formatting syntax has changed between 2.1 and 2.9
> but I cant seem to find any
> information
>
> Is there some updated information available
> somewhere I might have overlooked
> (or is this maybe a defect)
>
> A trivial example which in Octave 2.9.12 gives
> errors are
>
> octave:1> plot(1:10,"L")
>
> error: plot: properties must appear followed by a
> value
> error: evaluating if command near line 60, column 6
> error: evaluating if command near line 59, column 4
> error: evaluating if command near line 57, column 2
> error: evaluating if command near line 56, column 7
> error: evaluating while command near line 43, column
> 5
> error: evaluating if command near line 30, column 3
> error: called from `__plt__' in file

`/usr/local/octave-2.9/share/octave/2.9.12/m/plot/__plt__.m'
> error: evaluating assignment expression near line
> 182, column 7
> error: called from `plot' in file

`/usr/local/octave-2.9/share/octave/2.9.12/m/plot/plot.m'