Re: lsode -- a do-it-all DGL solver?

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: lsode -- a do-it-all DGL solver?
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:59:09 +0200

Matthias Brennwald schrieb:
Ok, but: why do the odeXY solvers exist in Octave, then? Just for Matlab compatibility? Aren't they faster for specific problems?

Matthias

You're right, the final aim of OdePkg 'just' is to have a MatLab compatible solver-package to solve different types of problems. You think there should exist more goals? I don't see OdePkg as a competition - I see it as supporting the development of Octave and nothing more. When I started with this package I set the main focus on solving ODEs and after that I continued with interfaces for solvers of *explicitly* formulated DAEs whereas John's implementations (lsode, dassl...) can do ODEs and *implicitly* formulated DAEs (also called IDEs), ie. meanwhile we are able to solve '3 types of problems resp. formulations'.

When I'm talking about fast and slow then this is meant because the *.m and *.c->*.mex files if called from Octave are slower in general than a clean *.cc->*.oct implementation. If you have small problems (eg. order 1..50) you won't really notice the milliseconds of difference but I think you will notice if the order of the problem increases dramatically then. Currently I'm hacking my first *.cc (IDE) interface file ('just' another step forward) and sooner or later all current *.c files (currently ODE and DAE) will be ported to *.cc within OdePkg. Let's talk again about the speed of solving if this porting has been finished.

  Thomas