Re: "default.img" missing in octave-2.9.13

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: "default.img" missing in octave-2.9.13
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:31:44 +0200

John W. Eaton skrev:
On 10-Aug-2007, Henry F. Mollet wrote:

| Minor item and debating if I should even post this
| but the "default.img" according to
| ## Load Bobbie Jo Richardson (Born 3/16/94)
| needed in image.m (see code below)
| is not available in octave-2.9.13 whereas it was available in Octave-2.1.71.
| Therefore using "image" at octave prompt will not work in octave-2.9.13.
| | However, I'm not sure why providing a default image should be helpful when
| using image.m and if it were not better if a warning were given that the use
| of image.m requires at least one argument as per
| octave-2.9.13:15> help image
|  -- Function File:  image (IMG)

The original author of the image function did this for fun.
Ahhh, this is actually one of my favourite Octave features. I do quite a bit of image processing in Octave, and I've often been in need of some random image for some quick testing. Having one integrated with Octave saves me from remembering the file names of the images I have on disc. But more importantly, that image highlights the fact that Octave is written by "Real People (TM)". When I see the image of Bobbie Jo I quickly remember to be thankful to all the contributors to Octave. So, that image helps to bring some personality to Octave. And Matlab can't compete with that :-)

Søren