lsode -- a do-it-all DGL solver?

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: lsode -- a do-it-all DGL solver?
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:42:01 +0200

Dear all

I'm not very much at home with the numerical theory behind solving differential equations. Therefore my question: how do I decide which DGL solver I should use? I have the impression that 'lsode' seems to be a very advanced solver that is suitabe for most (all?) kinds of DGLs. Is this correct? Also, how is it different from other solvers like ode23 or ode45 (available in Matlab and Octave forge)? What are the (dis)advantages of the different solvers?

Matthias