RE: Help installing testing tarball from 25 July 2007 on red hat ent. li

From: Dr. Phyllis R. Nelson
Subject: RE: Help installing testing tarball from 25 July 2007 on red hat ent. linux 5, amd64
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:44:03 -0700

Thanks Quentin and Dmitri!

The following worked:

./configure --enable-shared --disable-static --with-f77=gfortran

Best,

-Phyllis

Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

>On 8/2/07, Dr. Phyllis R. Nelson <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>>Dmitri and all,
>>
>>I've made another try.  Could it be that the fortran libraries are the
>>problem, not the version of gcc?
>>

>This is quite possible. You have to force selection of gfortran as
>your fortran compiler by
>setting FC variable, e.g.:
>
>FC=gfortran ./configure --enable-shared --disable-static ...

I hadn't thought about this. Actually a Fedora user recently reported a
similar bug along these lines--if you have the old compilers installed
alongside current compilers, configure will pick up g77 ahead of
gfortran. I never noticed this because the Fedora build system (and my
own system) wouldn't have that installed when it builds the package.
According to the reporter of the bug, this can also be corrected using
the configure option "--with-f77=gfortran". I have added this to the
Fedora package for the next release, and to the EPEL  5 package.

Quentin