bug with debugging command?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: bug with debugging command?
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 14:59:26 -0400

On 30-Jul-2007, Ares wrote:

| hi all,
|
|  I am trying to use the debugging tools in octave, but when I try:
|
| lst = dbstatus (['test_db_oct.m'])
|
| I get
|
| error: dbstatus: unable to find the function you requested
|
| where test_db_oct.m is just
|
| plot(0,0);
|
| Some hints? I searched the nabble archive but there's not one post
| with this error message...

The debugging commands only work with functions, not scripts.

The reason is that the debugging functionality in the Octave
interpreter works with the parse trees created when a function is
parsed.  Script files are currently executed one line at a time each
time they are executed, so no parse tree is created.  Fixing the
interpreter so that it generates a parse tree for script files would
be a good project, but it has a low priority for me.

jwe