Re: How to launch Octave with its GUI ?

From: Steve Thompson
Subject: Re: How to launch Octave with its GUI ?
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:49:11 -0700

On 7/28/07, Julien R <address@hidden> wrote:
> By the past, I used Matlab and also tried Scilab. It was possible to load
> ".m" scripts and do other things by using a GUI (for example, using the "Open
> file" button). As I understand, all this is done in a command line mode with
> Octave.  I could start the X server and the X terminal. Then, from the X
> terminal, I called octave.  If I understand well, all Octave commands will be
> called from this terminal.  Content of vector or matrixes will also be
> printed in the same terminal.  Isn't it?

Matlab has a little command line where you run m-files and
test out stuff, right?  That's what Octave in a terminal
does.  That is where you call m-files and do various other
commands.  To "Open file", just open it with your text
editor of choice.

As I understand it, the core developers of Octave are not
interested in some GUI since they live in Emacs and when you
get good at Emacs your motivation to make some half-baked
text editor for m-files isn't really there.

I've seen Matlab GUI people get comfortable with Kate
<http://kate-editor.org/>.

Steve