Re: How to launch Octave with its GUI ?

From: Julien R
Subject: Re: How to launch Octave with its GUI ?
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 03:52:02 -0700 (PDT)

Michael,

Thank you for your answer. I added comments below.

Julien

Michael Goffioul-2 wrote:

> On 7/25/07, Julien R <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I'm new to Octave and installed its binary on Win32 (XP) with cygwin,
>> i.e.
>> not a bundle executable.
>>
>> I read lot of papers and posts about how installing cygwin and Octave on
>> Windows, but nothing about how to start it.
>
> There's also Windows binary packages of octave, which are not based on
> cygwin, that you might want to look at. See
> http://www.dbateman.org/?page=octave&lang=EN or
> http://octave.sourceforge.net

I knew it and would probably have chosen such a bundle if I not already had
cygwin installed. I installed cygwin to have GRASS, another GNU package.
(There is also a GRASS native Win32 version, but in pre-alpha release, so
less stable.)
Using Octave with cygwin is also for me a way to get more familiar with
Unix/Linux architecture. This will help me trying Linux once I feel that I
have some knowledge with this OS.

>> Of course, I can start Octave from the cygwin console, but I could not
>> find
>> a way to start it with its graphical interface. Ideally, I would like to
>> put
>> some shortcut on my desktop, pointing a ".bat" file to launch Octave.
>
> What do you mean with "graphical interface"? Octave does not have by
> default
> a graphical interface, it simply runs in a console. Of course, if you
> want to use
> plots (which uses gnuplot), you'll need to have a X server running as
> well. If this
> is what you mean, then look into C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat:
> this is
> a batch script to start the X server and an X terminal. You can probably
> tune it
> to start octave in the terminal.

By the past, I used Matlab and also tried Scilab. It was possible to load
".m" scripts and do other things by using a GUI (for example, using the
"Open file" button). As I understand, all this is done in a command line
mode with Octave.
I could start the X server and the X terminal. Then, from the X terminal, I
called octave.
If I understand well, all Octave commands will be called from this terminal.
Content of vector or matrixes will also be printed in the same terminal.
Isn't it?

>> A more general problem is that I often cannot find the ".sh"
>> configuration
>> scripts. I also wonder if the call to a ".sh" Linux script can be done
>> from
>> within a Windows ".bat" file, for instance as parameter of some Linux
>> command.
>
> The only way to run a shell script within a .bat file is to run it
> through a shell
> interpreter like bash (like in "bash -i --login -c script.sh"). This
> also means that
> once bash exits, the shell environment (all variables) is lost. In
> other words, if
> you shell script setup some variables and export them, this won't have
> any effect
> in you .bat file. In this kind of situation, the best is then to write
> a full .sh script
> that do everything you want, then write a one-line .bat file that runs
> the .sh script
> through bash.

Yes, that seems the right way. I understand than once the Linux-like
environment started, all concerning GNU applications are shelled in it. So
we set environement variables in the ".sh" and not in the ".bat".