Re: using gnuplot 4.2

From: LUK ShunTim
Subject: Re: using gnuplot 4.2
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:37:42 +0800

Ares wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a new (happy) GNU/Linux user. I have kubuntu 7.04 installed with octave
> 2.9
>
> by default kubuntu package manager installs gnuplot version 4.0. now I
> found on octave help that octave can use gnuplot 4.2 to show images
> and plot data on top of such images (that is what I need) using
> gnuplot.
>
> My problem is: how can I tell octave to use gnuplot 4.2 instead of 4.0?
>
> I tried removing gnuplot 4.0 but (of course) octave does not find
> gnuplot anymore.
>
> thanks in advance for your help. Regards

Did you install gnuplot 4.2 via a deb package? If it's the case, the
easiest way is probably the debian alternatives mechanism. Try "man
update-alternatives" to see how to do it or install galternatives for a
GUI to do the same.

For standalone install, you can try setting the binary search path so
that octave finds gnuplot 4.2 first. You may have to copy/rename the
binary to gnuplot if it's called gnuplot-4.2 or something.

For bash,

export PATH=/path/to/your/gnuplot/binary/dir:$PATH

Regards,
ST