Re: Problem with installing packages in Octave

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Problem with installing packages in Octave
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:08:28 +0200

Hi,
That problem is related to a combination of your octave version and the fedora package. The problem is that your version of Octave doesn't support regular expressions, which the Octave package manager requires. This is a common problem, but I can't remember what the solution was :-( Either the regular expression library was made into a hard dependency of Octave, or the Octave package manager was fixed to not depend on the regular expression library. Either way, I'm not sure what the best solution for you is. I'm CC'ing this response to the 'help' list in hope that somebody will know the best solution.

Søren

address@hidden skrev:

Thank you Søren for your instructions. I installed the octave-devel package from Fedora's yum and executed the same pkg install commands in Octave. But this time it returned the following error:

error: dotexceptnewline: regexp not implemented in this version

This time it seems to be some problem with regular expressions now... I'm sure something's missing but don't know what it is.

Well still many thanks.

And still expecting your suggestions...

Cong

On 7/21/07, *Søren Hauberg* < address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden> skrev:
     > In both installations I was told that "no mkoctfile found on
    path" and
     > "./configure: line XXXX: conftest.cc : command not found", and
    nothing
     > was installed (verified by pkg list). I don't understand what is
     > happening. Am I missing something? Or something else?
    I don't use Fedora, so I can't give you the details. I'm guessing that
    you need to install an octave-devel package. In debian I think that
    package is called 'octave-headers'. Perhaps it is called something
    similar in Fedora?

    Søren