Re: Installation of 2.9.12 - readline problem?

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Installation of 2.9.12 - readline problem?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:48:01 +0200

> Thanks for your advice Thomas, but I guess I'll just forget about
> Octave 2.9.12 for the time being. I now have readline installed up
> the proverbial ying-yang. I have installed it once via macports and
> at least once directly. I've got
>     \usr\local\lib\libreadline.5.2.dylib
> and
>     \opt\local\lib\libreadline.5.0.dylib
> None of this makes any difference. When I try to ./configure
> Octave-2.9.12, I always end up with the same message
>     checking for rl_set_keyboard_input_timeout in -lreadline... no
>     configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later
>     configure: error: this is fatal unless you specify --disable-
> readline

Then it normally should work, *maybe* your compiler doesn't recognize that the
libs and includes are in /usr/local. So if you somewhen want to give it a
another chance (to not must live with 2.9.9 forever ;)

  export CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"
  export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"
  export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"

or like this if you configure octave:

  ./configure CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"

> Life is too short.

That might be true ;)

> Im going to stick with Octave 2.9.9. That works
> for me.

Why are you using 2.9.9? You don't like octave.app that comes with 2.9.12?

  Thomas