New Octave Cygwin User: Plot Doesn't Appear

From: Douglas Albert
Subject: New Octave Cygwin User: Plot Doesn't Appear
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 21:54:21 -0700

I just downloaded Octave today, using Cygwin's setup program.  It seems to work fine, except when I tried to plot the data from the ODE example at the start of the Octave manual, no plot was produced.  I guess this isn't surprising, since Cygwin sets the TERM variable to "cygwin", which isn't recognized by Gnuplot.  The version of  Gnuplot automatically downloaded by Cygwin when I downloaded Octave seems to work O.K. if I output (say, Postscript) to a file, rather than to a window.  Does anyone know what extra configuring I must do fix this problem?