Re: Octave.app for MacOSX released

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: Octave.app for MacOSX released
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 19:43:58 -0700

Not sure how helpful this is but I read other posting regarding
octave.app/gnuplot for MacOSX on this thread.

1) I had said that I had an almost clean HD apart from re-installed OS
10.4.10 and .octaverc. I did not remember that I had also installed Octave
2.1.73, gnuplot 4.0, and AquaTerm on this older computer. However, path were
not yet available and I had to 'activate' octave by using
/usr/local/bin/octave.

2) As described below I had installed octave.app (2.9.12) without any
difficulties but did not test if I could also plot and assumed I could not
until installing gnuplot 4.2 and Aquaterm.

3) Today, after realizing that I had gnuplot 4.0 and Aquaterm already
installed, I copied from new computer (which has Octave 2.1.71) all the
.files that I might need (.bash_profile; .bashrc; .gnuplot; .octaverc (to
make sure I used the same as on newer eMac); .xinitrc (for good measure) and
tried a plot. Worked just fine:
Last login: Fri Jul  6 18:56:13 on ttyp1
'/Applications/octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
Welcome to Darwin!
 [~] -bash-2.05b 141$
'/Applications/octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
GNU Octave, version 2.9.12
Copyright (C) 2007 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.1".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

warning: LOADPATH is no longer a built-in variable; please read the NEWS
file or type `news' for details
error: `LOADPATH' undefined near line 1 column 168
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 1, column 10
error: near line 1 of file `/Users/hfm/.octaverc'
octave-2.9.12:1> x = linspace(0,pi,100);
octave-2.9.12:2> plot (x,sin(x))
octave-2.9.12:3> plot (x,sin(x)) # same  plot again
octave-2.9.12:4> x = rand (3)

4) It appears that I can use versions 2.1.73 and 2.9.12 in different
terminal windows without any difficulties using same gnuplot (4.0)/aquaterm.
I'm planning to update gnuplot asap.
Henry