Octave.app for MacOSX released

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Octave.app for MacOSX released
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 21:08:57 +0200

Hi everybody,

months ago we were talking about an Octave binary release for Mac OS X users at one of the Octave mailing-lists. Now time has come to present a first release candidate of Octave.app. Users that are interested in this ready-to-run binary package can download a compressed *.dmg image at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2888 for either PPC or i386. The minimum system requirements for Octave.app are PPC OS X version 10.3 or i386 OS X version 10.4.

NOTE: If you're a long-term user of Octave or a beginner in any case please read the Readme.html file that comes with your *.dmg. Octave.app has some known limitations but also has some features that you might want to use. We also do know that there may be further problems at least with PPC 10.3 OS X versions (because it is a cross-compiled product of my own i386 Mac) that are not documented in the Readme.html file and we strongly need help from everybody fixing these bugs (so please give it a try looking for what is going wrong on your system). Also note that we packed the available octave-2.9.12 sources and not a current CVS snapshot ie. there may be problems in Octave.app that have already been reported at one of Octave's mailing-lists and also have already been fixed and can be found in the current CVS.

Finally I'd like to say,' thanks everybody who make Octave and it's packages even possible' and further I'd especially like to thank Paul for answering tons of my spam I sent to him, giving me motivation to not break during this quest and finally hacking some code of the build-scripts that make a PPC version generally available.

That's it from my side,

  Thomas