Re: Newbie Q: Launching in OSX

From: Marius Schamschula
Subject: Re: Newbie Q: Launching in OSX
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:29:46 -0500

Gregory, Jordi,

Aquaterm is for displaying plots. You need to us Apple's Terminal or X11's xterm for the CLI.

Note that you will need to put the path to the octave binary into your PATH. If you are using bash as your shell, you'll need to add something like

PATH=$PATH:/path/to/octave/bin

export PATH

in your ~/.bash_profile file.

The actual /path/to/octave/bin depends on which octave distribution you have installed:

My (hmug.org) and Guarav's (hpc.sf.net) builds are in /usr/local/bin
MacPorts in /opt/local/bin
Fink  in /sw/bin

The do a

bash --login

(first time only - the file is normally read when you first open the Terminal, in X11 you need to do this every time unless you tweak Apple's plist)

and type

octave