Re: Slowness in function 'open'

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Slowness in function 'open'
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:53:48 -0400

On 21-Jun-2007, Robert A. Macy wrote:

| ok, so let me convert ALL the data to real values, called
| them x1, x2, x3, etc and try again.  mybigfile3.txt was
| 12.4MB same as the 'stripped' one, called mybigfile2.txt
|        [again, watch for wraparounds]
| octave-2.9.12.exe:1> save -ascii "mybigfile3.txt" x*;

This doesn't make sense in 2.9.12 because the -ascii option for the
load function is now compatible with Matlab.  It is only intended to
save a single real-valued matrix to a file, rows and columns of
numbers only.

| So there you have it.  2.9.12 couldn't read the old text
| file generated by 2.1.50a and WORSE couldn't even read its
| own text file with multiple variables, AND WAS SLOWER.
|
| Plus, the 2.9.12 history screwed up several times more and
| had to be cleared with ctrl-c

Man, Octave really does suck.  Why do you keep using it?

BTW, the list for bug reports is address@hidden

jwe