Slowness in function 'open'

From: Mark B.
Subject: Slowness in function 'open'
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:47:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Is there a faster way to load a big text file composed only of integers? I
am having severe performance penalties by using the load function

These are the results of my tests:

First test:
Octave, version 2.9.12 (configured for "i686-pc-msdosmsvc")

octave.exe:1> tic; load('mybigfile'); toc;
Elapsed time is 98.314560 seconds.

Matlab 7.3.0.267 (R2006b)

>> tic; load('mybigfile');toc;
Elapsed time is 27.923677 seconds.

Octave, version 2.1.73 (i686-pc-cygwin)

octave:1> tic; load('mybigfile');toc
ans = 1117.5

Between calls to the 'load' function I flushed the cache of the location
where the file resides

Second test:
octave.exe:2> tic; load('mybigfile'); toc;
Elapsed time is 93.594170 seconds.

>> tic; load('mybigfile');toc;
Elapsed time is 28.757878 seconds.

(Note: I cannot save the file in binary format because of incompatibility
with the C++ program that generates the text file)

Is this a known issue?

Thanks