Problem with Gnuplot on OSX

From: Gary Huntress
Subject: Problem with Gnuplot on OSX
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 21:29:00 -0400

I'm a new OSX user but a longtime octave fan.    I've got a new
Macbook Pro and I installed the intel binary found here
http://hpc.sourceforge.net/.    I installed gnuplot from source and
aquaterm with no problems at all.

I can run octave with no apparent problems other than a warning about
a lack of an imagemagick package.    I can also manually launch
gnuplot and create graphs.  However if I try to use gnuplot from
within octave I get the following error:

octave:1> plot(1)
error: `gnuplot_command_using' undefined near line 4 column 24
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 4, column 14
error: evaluating if command near line 3, column 3
error: called from `__make_using_clause__' in file
`/usr/local/share/octave/2.9.9/m/plot/__make_using_clause__.m'
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 104, column 13
error: evaluating if command near line 94, column 2
error: evaluating if command near line 93, column 7
error: evaluating while command near line 44, column 5
error: evaluating if command near line 34, column 3
error: called from `__plt__' in file
`/usr/local/share/octave/2.9.9/m/plot/__plt__.m'
error: called from `plot' in file `/usr/local/share/octave/2.9.9/m/plot/plot.m'

any advice or suggestions will be appreciated!

Gary H.