Re: Code generation with Octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Code generation with Octave
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 02:22:48 +0200

orochimaru13 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was searching for a free computer program for performing numerical
> computations when I've found GNU Octave and I'm wondering if it could
> generated C code or code in another language (Fortran, C++, Java...).
> I find something called Octave2C (or OctavetoC) but there is not very much
> informations about it, and when I find some, there are not enough recent to
> be reliable. I think this project has been abandonned.
> So I'm looking for your help to find out some informations.
> Does somebody know something about it? or something about code generation
> using Octave?
>
> Thanks you all for your answers (and excuse my english xD).

Octave2C is based on the Stratego translation language, and a good
reference is here

http://www.stratego-language.org/Octave/OctaveCompilerDocumentation

I don't think there has been any work on this since Jan 2005 given what
I see on the website.. The download link is also down, and the only way
to get the code is from the SVN. The Stratego people only contacted the
Octave mailing lists once, in the thread

 http://www.nabble.com/Octave-compiler-tf3322523.html#a9237130

and then never again. Can I suggest you contact the Stratego authors and
see what their thoughts are, and there does appear to have been some
progress on Stratego itself, independent of the Octave compiler. See
http://www.stratego-language.org/ which lists a change less than one
month ago.

The only other effort was Jens Gottstien (nee Ruecknagel) at

http://www.ruena.de/publications.html

though this is very incomplete and basically only works with the
examples supplied..

D.