Re: mfilename work around

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: mfilename work around
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 19:09:47 -0500

On 21/05/07, gOS <address@hidden> wrote:
I am curious to know if anyone has anyidea how to write a function for octave
that would work around mfilename with the same results.
[snip]
Three people now have tried to install it on seperate machines using cygwin
and mfilename just won't work. Rather than dealing with it, I'd like to just
find another way.

Another way to not deal with it is to not deal with Windows:

    http://www.goodbye-microsoft.com
    http://www.goodbye-windows.com

and

    http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetup/wubi/en-US/index.html
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Take your pick. The first three links don't require you to download
and burn a CD. The last one does, and if you know how to do so or have
a friend who can do it for you, I strongly recommend this last method.
With it, you'll be able to run Ubuntu and even Octave without
installing anything to your hard disk, and once you decide to make a
real installation, it's just a few easy questions and clicks away. A
friend of mine, relatively inexperienced with computers, recently
remarked that the Ubuntu installation (after I gave her a burnt CD)
"was ridiculously easy". And once you have it, it's trivial to install
Octave or any other of thousands of free software tools, complete with
the Octave-forge function mfilename that you want.

I'm not even sure if Cygwin is getting timely updates on Octave (seems
everyone using Cygwin is using Octave 2.1.73 which is about to be
declared officially obsolete), but both Ubuntu and Debian are getting
these updates.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.