Octave help

From: Jorge Viveros
Subject: Octave help
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 19:29:29 -0500

To whom this may concern,

I am trying to get Octave running on my office PC but ran into some
problems and I am hoping you can help me figure out their solution; I found your contact information in a README file that came along with Octave software. I am an assistant professor at Tarleton State University -Central Texas and I am very interested in getting my students in my numerical analysis class this summer acquainted with Octave.

My problem is the following ... I can't see any plots. For example, I
start cygwin, type startx at the prompt, type octave at the new window,
type sombrero(41) at the octave prompt and a gnu-plot window appears but
there is no plot in it, the gnu plot displays the following
---------------
      G N U P L O T
      Version 3.7 patchlevel 3
      last modified Thu Dec 12 13:00:00 GMT 2002
      System: MS-Windows 32 bit

      Copyright(C) 1986 - 1993, 1998 - 2002
      Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

      Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual
      The gnuplot FAQ is available from
      http://www.gnuplot.info/gnuplot-faq.html

      Send comments and requests for help to <address@hidden>
      Send bugs, suggestions and mods to <address@hidden>

Terminal type set to 'windows'
gnuplot>
-----------------
Could you please help me out figure out why I am not seeing any plots?
I am currently working with the 2.1.73 version of octave. Lastly, let me thank you in your efforts for helping in the development
of octave, I know students appreciate very much having such a valuable
package at no cost to them.

Best regards,

Jorge Viveros
Department of Mathematics, Physics and Egineering
Tarleton State University -Central Texas
1901 S. Clear Creek Rd
Killeen, TX 76549
Office 153-B
http://www.tarleton.edu/~vrogel