grouping by threads in the mailing list archive

From: Tino Scherrer
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 00:54:01 +0200

Hello,
I have a question about the octave mailing lists (and its' archives to be more
precise), not directly about octave.

I prefer to follow the emails to the mailing lists in the archives (for example
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2007-May/thread.html) rather than
in an email program (which is a web interface in my case). The advantage of the
archives is that I can nicely group all emails by thread, which makes it easier
to follow.

Now I noticed that when I post a followup to any thread, a new thread begins in
the archive. Can someone explain, why this happens for me (and some other list
authors), while most other emails are sorted into the tree structure? Does it
depend on whether I reply to address@hidden or to the previous author with Cc
to the list? Does it depend on whether the subject is marked with a Re: or not?
Does it depend on some flags that should be set by the email program? Should I
rather not use an email program, but a newsreader or some other interface
instead?

Well, this is not an important topic, but an answer would help me to locate my
questions and related answers in the archives.

Best regards,
Tino