Re: Emacs mode for Matlab vs Emacs mode for Octave

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Emacs mode for Matlab vs Emacs mode for Octave
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 08:38:22 -0500

Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso wrote:
Hi. Please keep the discussion inside the Octave mailing list so other
list subscribers can participate (reply all from within Gmail, not
simply reply).

On 03/05/07, Alessandro Brezzi <address@hidden> wrote:
2007/5/3, Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:

I have visions of a grand goal of having an Octave script debugger
inside Emacs, but it would take me quite a while to learn the
skills I would need to write such a thing, if it's even possible.
I've opened a simple octave script and the OCTAVE mode was

Unlike the other leading brand, Octave isn't an acronym for anything,
so there's no need to shout its name. ;-) "Octave" instead of "OCTAVE"
will do nicely.

activated, with an OCTAVE menu.  In the menu I've found a Debug
sub-menu, which I suppose can be usefull for you, as it is for me.

Yes, but even this debug menu is rather limited to sending code blocks
or lines to Octave. A real debugger would need conditional
breakpoints, the ability to step through loops, be able to display
data structures as they are being modified, and the like. I'm not even
sure it's possible to do all these tasks from Emacs without further
cooperation from the Octave interpreter.

An Octave debugger has been in the wishlist for a long time:

     http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/projects.html

Anyways, this is just a side request. I got a private response from
the current Matlab mode maintainer who seems to think that the current
Matlab mode is already usable enough for Octave (recognises
"endfunction" and other Octave extensions). I'll try it out; maybe
I'll be using that instead of Octave mode.

I've been using the Matlab mode for a long time because it's far more extensive than the Octave mode. I assume that the two were developed independently and that the Matlab mode is better developed because the maintainer of the Octave mode is busy improving the rest of octave :). There are a few things missing from the Matlab mode, like support for # comments. I think the best way to improve the Octave mode at this point is to take the Matlab mode and add the features like this that are missing.

Quentin