Re: Octave-Forge Windows Installer (2.1.73) Can't load Forge Packages

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge Windows Installer (2.1.73) Can't load Forge Packages
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:54:56 +0200

barch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to get started with Octave and have so far had success (after a
> bit of work) using built in functions and GNU Plots etc.
> I would now like to use some of the Octave-Forge functions, as I want to
> load .wav files for some sound processing. I am however having a lot of
> problems with this; and to date have not been able to get any Octave-Forge
> functions working. I suspect that it is a path issue so my octave paths are
> listed below:
>
> Octave's search path contains the following directories:
>   /usr/lib/octave/2.1.73/site/oct/i686-pc-cygwin//
>   /usr/lib/octave/site/oct/api-v13/i686-pc-cygwin//
>   /usr/lib/octave/site/oct/i686-pc-cygwin//
>   /usr/share/octave/2.1.73/site/m//
>   /usr/share/octave/site/api-v13/m//
>   /usr/share/octave/site/m//
>   /usr/lib/octave/2.1.73/oct/i686-pc-cygwin//
>   /usr/share/octave/2.1.73/m//
>   /cygdrive/c/User/Octave
>
> From what I heave read I should be able to load the Octave-Forge functions
> by using:
> "pkg load all"
> or
> "pkg load _package_name"
>
> Neither of these commands work for me, I just get a syntax error. I
> installed Octave using the Octave Forge for Windows binary 2.1.73 (Windows
> Installer March 24, 2006 ) The link called “testing” on Octave Site.
>
> Any tips on how I can debug my setup to get the Octave Forge Packages
> working? What is the simplist way to isolate the problem, are there any
> simple test calls I can make?
> Naturally any help is most appreciated.
>
> Simon
> Octave WIndows Installed (2.1.73)
> Windows XP (‘cause I have to!)

You can't use the package manager with 2.1.73. It is only available in a
fully working manner in 2.9.10, and was first available in 2.9.6. If you
want octave-forge the last version supporting 2.1.73 is 2006-03-17..

Now as you appear to be using Cygwin using the binary on source-forge
itself, I believe that all of the octave-forge main directory from
2006-03-17 is installed in the version you have. I'm not sure about
extras/ and nonfree/ however..

D.