Re: Octave for YDL 5.0.x... install problem & cell programming offer

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: Octave for YDL 5.0.x... install problem & cell programming offer
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:31:45 +0200

On 4/21/07, Don Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi;

I've been fighting a loosing battle trying to install Octave under YDL 5.0.1
(running on a PS3).  Your OctaveForGNULinux says Octave is part of the
Fedora Extras and just a "yum install octave-forge" will do it.  But the YDL
5 distro doesn't have Octave in the extras! (at least not that a "yum list"
could find).  With over a dozen dependancies, it looks like RPM hell.  I
have 10 years experience on UNIX and Solaris, but I'm a newbie on installs.
>> Any pointers? <<

My key expertise is in parallel processing, and my reason for getting the
PS3 is to start moving some cpu-hog functions onto the SPEs.  So I'm very
interested in coordinating with anyone who may be doing something similar.

cheers,
James D. (Don) Roberts

The biggest pointer is to use Debian, there's an installer at
http://www.keshi.org/moin/moin.cgi/PS3/Debian/Installer
and a live CD that will show you what you get at
http://www.keshi.org/moin/moin.cgi/PS3/Debian/Live
To get the resolution set to the best mode, see the instructions at
http://buffis.com/?p=27

Debian has a MUCH larger set of packages than does YDL. Once you have
Debian installed, you just do an "apt-get install octave2.9" I'm also
interested in parallel computing, ParallelKnoppix is a project of
mine. I haven't tried anything with the PS3 yet, though. Cheers, M.