Re: Request for combinatorial functions

From: Phillip M. Feldman
Subject: Re: Request for combinatorial functions
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 07:55:08 -0700

Ah!  That's perfect.  Thanks!

Phillip

Paul Kienzle wrote:

On Apr 16, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Phillip M. Feldman wrote:

Combinatorics seems to be an area where Octave is weak. I would really
like to be able to do the following: 1) Compute factorials using the
exclamation point
notation, e.g., get 24 as the result if I enter "4!". 2) Compute
n-choose-m using the choose(n,m) notation. These functions really should
be part of the Octave base.

nchoosek is part of Octave base.  Following the Matlab interface,
it will generate the combinations for you if you give it a vector,
or tell you the number of combinations if you give it a scalar.

bincoeff just computes the binomial coefficients n-choose-k.

- Paul