Re: Different Octave Versions

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Different Octave Versions
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 11:03:23 +0200

Markus Feldmann wrote:
> Hi,
>

> i am using Octave under Debian Etch.
> Therefor i wanna know why are there 2 different Octave Versions?
> The first is 2.1 and the other is 2.9.
> What is the Differents?
>
> bye Markus

See

http://www.octave.org/download.html

where it says

<quote>
stable
    This version is well tested, reliable, but also quite old and no
longer maintained.

testing
    A recent snapshot of the development sources that has been selected
as being reasonably good. Most people who are not actively involved in
Octave's development will want to use this version.

development
    The most recent snapshot of the development sources. Use this if you
want the latest features and it doesn't bother you that you might run
into a few problems (if you do, please report them). If you are
interested in up-to-the-minute changes, you may use the sources from the
public CVS archive instead (see below for details).

Octave version          Version         Release Date
Stable (also currently
ancient and obsolete)   2.0.17          12 Apr 2002
Testing (you probably
want this)              2.1.73          27 Mar 2006
Development (latest
features, but expect a
few rough spots)        2.9.10          27 Mar 2007
</quote>

though 2.9.10 is pretty stable for everyday use, and I expect that a
2.9.11 release very soon will be marked as testing. If you want features
like

* Compressed file support (include matlab -v7 file support)
* Sparse Matrices
* GLPK
* Matlab compatiable graphics handles
* etc, etc

Then I'd suggest using 2.9.10 as your main version of Octave...

Regards
David