Comments on the Mac installation instructions on the wiki

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Comments on the Mac installation instructions on the wiki
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 12:06:57 +0200

Dear all

Just a few comments on the instructions on how to build and install Octave on a Mac (http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForMac):

- I had a hard time finding gfortran on the macresearch.org site. In fact, I can't find it again right now. A better description on where to find it would help a lot!

- The urls to the gnu software don't work. Are they valid? I just connected to ftp.gnu.org and went on from there.

- gnuplot 4.2: to support X11 (which I prefer to aquaterm), the developer SDK for X11 from XCode needs to be installed before building gnuplot. For output to PDF files, I installed PDFLib-lite before building gnuplot. (thanks to Marius Schamschula for helping me with gnuplot!)

- the 'Extensions': is it possible to install these after installing octave? Or is it necessary to re-install octave to make use of the extensions?

In general: I think the number of Mac users would explode if Octave was available as a package that would be installed using the normal Mac Installer. This IS possible! I once downloaded the binary (Octave 2.9.9) from the HPC site, put that into a Mac package using Apples PackageMaker program (that was a quick and dirty hack, though, following the hints here: http://s.sudre.free.fr/Stuff/ PackageMaker_Howto.html ). Then I successfully installed this package via the Mac Installer program -- no shell hacking! just one or two mouse clicks, et voila!! However, I don't know how to make a binary archive like the one on the HPC site that already knows where to install the files. I also don't know what (if) Mac specific information should be added to the Mac package, and how/where to include the license stuff.

Cheers,
Matthias

-------
Matthias Brennwald