Re: Octave 2.9.10 on my Mac

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.10 on my Mac
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 08:54:50 +0200

Ok, I moved my previous gettext out of the way, downloaded the most recent version from the GNU server, installed that, and the problem is solved.

Thanks,
Matthias

On 06.04.2007, at 16:02, Thomas Treichl wrote:

Hi Matthias,

I can't see this Problem on my IA32 Mac. I think you don't have the newest gettext library installed (or -because I already know that you do install Fink packages sometimes- have an older gettext that is installed on your computer - read the ./configure log of Octave carefully for which version is found). If you are not successful please contact again.

See my output

  octave:1> help legend
   -- Function File:  legend (ST1, ST2, ...)
   -- Function File:  legend (ST1, ST2, ..., POS)
   -- Function File:  legend (MATSTR)
   -- Function File:  legend (MATSTR, POS)
   -- Function File:  legend (CELL)
   -- Function File:  legend (CELL, POS)
   -- Function File:  legend ('FUNC')
       Legend puts a legend on the current plot using the specified
       strings as labels. Use independant strings (ST1, ST2, ...), a
matrix of strings (MATSTR), or a cell array of strings (CELL) to
       <snip>

So long,
Thomas

Matthias Brennwald schrieb:
Dear all,
first of all I'd like to say a BIG THANK YOU for the latest Octave. I love the Matlab-like plotting stuff! I've built 2.9.10 on my Mac (a PowerBook G4 / PPC) following the instructions from http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForMac (more or less). One problem I've encountered is that the help function does not work well. For example:
octave:9> help legend
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
   Referenced from: /usr/local//bin/makeinfo
   Reason: image not found
warning: help: Texinfo formatting filter exited abnormally
warning: help: raw Texinfo source of help text follows...
warning: help:
-*- texinfo -*-
@deftypefn {Function File} {} legend (@var{st1}, @var{st2}, @dots{})
@deftypefnx {Function File} {} legend (@var{st1}, @var{st2}, @dots {}, @var{pos})
@deftypefnx {Function File} {} legend (@var{matstr})
What's that missing library stuff? How can I fix that?
Matthias

-------
Matthias Brennwald
Lägernstrasse 6