gnuplot zoom not functioning anymore in octave 2.9.10

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: gnuplot zoom not functioning anymore in octave 2.9.10
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:33:03 -0400

On  4-Apr-2007, address@hidden wrote:

| until version 2.9.9, it was possible to enable zoom with the
| "set mouse" command (e.g. in ~/.gnuplot). After changing to
| version 2.9.10, this does not function anymore.

It still works for me with gnuplot 4.0.

With gnuplot 4.2 I can rotate and zoom 3d plots, but zooming 2d plots
does not work for me when gnuplot is called from Octave.  It does work
when I run gnuplot directly.  I don't know what the proper fix is.  In
any case, the changes you make with the mouse will still not be
reflected in the axes settings seen by Octave as the communication
with gnuplot is still a simple one way pipe.

jwe