Re: Debian, Octaviz, and Octave 2.9 (was: Installing a bleeding-edge Oct

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Debian, Octaviz, and Octave 2.9 (was: Installing a bleeding-edge Octave...)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:24:24 +0200

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 28.03.2007, 21:13 -0600 schrieb Jordi Gutierrez
Hermoso:

> I agree that everything works swimmingly in 2.9, and I frankly don't
> see the point of using 2.1 anymore, except that the Debian package for
> Octaviz isn't available for 2.9 yet. :-( Octaviz is my favourite
> plotter so far, unless yapso gets full-featured soon. It was looking
> very promising.

If you want to have this faster, convince Kitware that they should
release more[1] documentation for CMake (both packagers and Octaviz
upstream would appreciate that). Or at least that they make their book
easily purchasable outside the US.

> I haven't really looked into why the recent Octaviz release for 2.9
> didn't get packaged for Debian...

Because our days have only 24 hours. Additionally, I didn't want to have
a new version of Octaviz in Debian unstable before the freeze (it's
easier to get a new version into Debian's testing branch if you can just
adapt the current version in unstable).

> I suppose I could compile myself
> from Sourceforge, but I don't like to circumvent the apt system
> whenever I can avoid it.

If you are using Ubuntu: check your VTK version first.

[1] And no, a list of commands is *not* documentation. As isn't a book
that's specifically said to be outdated.

Regards
        Thomas