installing octave

From: boneeric
Subject: installing octave
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:53:11 -0600

I am trying to install ocatve on my system but with little luck. I have gone to the download page and downloaded these two links 2.1.73 (.tar.gz) (.tar.bz2) but when I go to the folder to open them there is no setup file just the two files that i downloaded and when i click on them it says it dosent know which program to open it with. I have also clicked on the Testing link to the left of these two other links and this brings up a page with several more links but none of them seem to me to be the program. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Eric