Can Octave run Matlab code that contains DLL files?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Can Octave run Matlab code that contains DLL files?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:19:34 -0400

On 27-Mar-2007, Steve C. Thompson wrote:

| Dear Group,
|
| I'm trying to get some Matlab code running in Octave.
| Specifically,
|
|   http://www.iterativesolutions.com/Matlab.htm ,
|
| which has a good library of channel codecs.  (If you know of
| turbo, convolutional, etc., codecs that run in Octave, please
| drop me a message).  Some of the intensive routines are MEXified
| resulting in a directory of .dll files.  Can Octave run such a
| thing?  I've heard people discussing MEX support, but I'm not
| entirely sure what that means.  Does it mean the developmental
| version of Octave (2.9.9) will run this code?  I'm running the
| older:
|
|   octave --version
|   GNU Octave, version 2.1.73 (i486-pc-linux-gnu)
|
| Thanks!

If you need MEX support, try 2.9.10.

You'll have to build the MEX files from source.  I think there is no
way for Octave to handle binary MEX files built for Matlab (as I
recall, they are linked against Matlab libraries).

Octave doesn't have matrix.h (on case-insenstivive filesystems it
conflicts with the Matrix.h header we already have) but you shouldn't
need it anyway, even with Matlab.  So the "#include <matrix.h>" lines
can be removed from the source files.

jwe