first call of inv() does not work

From: Sebastian Schenker
Subject: first call of inv() does not work
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:24:52 +0100

Hi everyone!

I have the following problem: After starting octave everything works
fine. Except the first call of the function inv or inverse. It doesn't
produce any output. To explain it in more detail.  After starting octave
I declare a matrix like B = [1 2;0 1] (for example).

When I know enter inv(B) as the next command nothing happens. No output
is produced but also no error message. Octave runs with about 90% of cpu
usage but does not finish. When I quit with Ctrl-c and immediately enter
inv(B) again the result (ans =1 -2 ; 0 1) is shown immediately. Now I
can also enter other (regular) matrices and inv() produces the results.

It only happens with the first call of inv in an octave session. Could
this be a bug or am I doing something wrong?

(There seem to be no other problem with octave. I am using gentoo linux.)

Does anyone have a clue?

best regards,

--
Sebastian Schenker              www.asbestian.de