Re: Text labels on plot axis?

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: Text labels on plot axis?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:20:45 +0100 (CET)

> Matthias Brennwald skrev:
>> is there a way to put text labels on a plot axis instead of numbers?
> I'm not quite sure I understand, but are you might want to look at the
> functions "xlabel", "ylabel", and "zlabel"
>
> Søren

Ok, I was not clear about what I'm trying to do. Try this:

plot(rand(1,4),'o');

This will plot four points at x = 1,2,3,4. These points are marked '1',
'2', '3', and '4' on the x axis. Now, I'd like to replace these numbers by
custom strings, e.g. 'apple', 'potato', 'tomato', 'carrot'.

The xlabel command does something different. It adds a label to the x
axis. In the above example, it would make sense to use

xlabel('vegetables')

I hope this clears up my previous post. Any suggestions on how to
transform numbers to vegetables?

Cheers,
Matthias