Re: Neural Networks in octave

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Neural Networks in octave
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 11:25:10 +0100

Hi,

Carlos Medrano skrev:
http://hauberg.org/wiki/doku.php?id=octave-fann/
I'm the author of this so you can't trust anything I say about this package ;-)

The FANN bindings work quite well, but FANN has some problems that also affect the bindings: *) There is currently no way to get access to the individual weights in the network. Sometimes you care about this, sometimes you don't. *) FANN only supports Feedforward Networks which is good enough for some uses, but sometimes you just need more powerful algorithms.

Other than that Octave-FANN is quite nice. It's fast, it's easy, and you can do the training in Octave and then later run the network from C which can be quite handy.

but I would like to know the opinion of some experienced users before choosing octave or matlab (and his neural network toolbox).
I believe there's also some NN code in octave-forge but I don't know how
well it works. I guess you could also try out "netlab" (just google it) which is matlab toolbox for pattern recognition written by Bishop. I haven't tried it but I assume that it works in octave.

As to if you should use octave or matlab my advise is to use octave (you're asking at an octave list so this is the expected answer). The reason is that in the longer run you will need the power that using free software provides. Matlab might be more handy in the short run, but you will hit the "propriatory software" wall sooner or later.

Søren