Re: explanation what "error: can't redefine read-only symbol foo" means

From: Muthiah Annamalai
Subject: Re: explanation what "error: can't redefine read-only symbol foo" means in detail
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 07:32:43 -0600

> Hi,
>
> I did not found a long description what the error message "error:
> can't redefine read-only symbol foo" means in detail.
What is 'foo'? or $(foo)

> Please could anyone tell me an example which generates the error
> above? It seems to me that the function where Octave reports this
> error is similar to:
>
> function [bar] = foo(baz)
>     [..]
>     if (..)
>        bar2=foo(baz2)
>     end

I cant understand what youres saying. It seems like an interesting
puzzle, but Im afraid I may not have time to sort it out, unless you can
be more clear.

What version of Octave are you running?

> But recursive calls should be allowed or I am wrong? I read the
> documentation but I did not found a detailled explanation about
> recursion or the error message above.

Recursive functions are supported in Octave, for as long as Ive been
using it.

-Muthu